Photos: Power Lines Catch on Fire on East Porter Street

Power lines smolder on East Porter Street. While on fire, the lines sprayed sparks and the hum of electricity could be heard (Photo by Naomi Cloostermans).

On Tuesday a power line along East Porter Street caught fire, prompting Albion College to issue a campus wide safety notice. Initially, the college sent a school-wide email, with “Active fire at 1112 Porter St.,” as the subject line. It was later clarified that only the power lines outside of the house were on fire and the residents of the house were safe.

The same power lines which caught fire were seen sparking during a campus wide power outage on Saturday. Albion College Campus Safety said on Saturday that Consumers Energy, Albion’s main power provider, had been notified of the issue. 

On Tuesday, first responders and electrical crews worked through the evening to restore the power lines along East Porter Street

Smoke surrounds the power lines outside of 1112 E Porter Street. Over the weekend, high winds caused a campus-wide power outage at Albion College (Photo by Naomi Cloostermans).
A police car blocks East Porter Street. Cars and pedestrians were prohibited from parking or traveling on East Porter Street while the burning power line was extinguished and repaired (Photo by Naomi Cloostermans).
Police and residents surround the scene inspecting the damage. People were told to stand back and not walk on East Porter or South Mingo Street, which runs perpendicular to Porter. (Photo by Naomi Cloostermans).

 

About Naomi Cloostermans 3 Articles
Naomi Cloostermans is a sophomore from Brussels, Belgium. She is majoring in Environmental Science and minoring in Communications. In her free time, she likes to travel and explore new places. She plans on attending graduate school after graduating. Contact Naomi via email at NC11@albion.edu.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*