Three Albion Pleiad team members were recognized by the Michigan Press Association as 2018 College Better Newspaper Contest awardees. The awards were announced during MPA’s annual convention in Grand Rapids on Thursday, Jan. 31.
The Pleiad executive team submitted what it deemed its best articles and photos from the 2017-2018 academic year to the contest. The Pleiad was placed, along with all other publications MPA deems to be published weekly, in Division Two. Each submission was categorized into one of 17 categories, from Best Writer to Best Single Ad. The Pleiad submitted entries in 10 categories.
Articles and photos were judged by non-Michigan journalists against publications like the State News of Michigan State University and the Torch of Ferris State University.
The State News was awarded the best overall publication in Division Two.
The following are the Pleiad’s winning staff members and their submissions.
Best Features Photo
- 1st, Beau Brockett Jr. for “Senior Victoria Stewart at the Sept. 25 demonstrations”
- Honorable Mention, Beau Brockett Jr. for “Sophomore Isaac Verhelst at the Sept. 25 demonstrations”
Best Sports News/Feature
- 3rd, Andrew Wittland for “Drew Harm: Fighting Against the Odds”
- Honorable Mention, Andrew Wittland for “More Than a Family Affair For Three Britons”
Best Sports Photo
- Honorable Mention, Gabby Henriksen for “Kingston, one of Albion College’s Class of 2017 horses”
Full awards results can be viewed here.
Leave a Reply